More Stuff About Will

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:20:04 +0100

Alex said:

>Mike Cule doesn't quite agree, though he doesn't say with what.

I was basically saying that the idea of forbidding the increase of Will after you began HeroQuesting was not needed. You could increase your Will on the Mundane Plane but it was difficult and with the amount of Will you had to use up to establish a new cult you soon hit the point of Diminishing Returns. The Ugly Hack wasn't needed at all.

HeroQuesting (with the exception of reaching into the Infinity Rune) doesn't provide increases in the Will of the Quester.

(Yes, I know Greg don't like the Superhero/Infinity Rune idea. And I Don't Care.)

>However, it probably _should_. HQing changes your ability to effect
>the HP; if the primary mechanism to change the HP is Will, then
>it seems dubious that it's at its _most_ when you're a HQ newbie,
>and decreases progressively as you become all the mightier. That's
>why I'm inclining towards a system in which "will" is separate from
>"power". Apart from your combining these two, I'm not sure what
>we're disagreeing on. (Rest of section deleted as being apparently
>non-controversial.)

Will is seperate from power and POW. With new followers being tied into the HeroQuesting Ring your effective ability to alter the Hero Plane will peak some way into your Questing career. But your personal Will is used up by this and you can't go on forever. If you could Arkat would now be God of the entire lozenge.

>(I'm ignoring "support" for the moment, and only considering ones
>"inherent" power.)

I don't think you can. See above.

>> But if you are doing something NEW then you ought to burn your own
>> exxence. You are cutting a fresh path through the cosmos and it is
>> others who will be changing themselves in an effort to become more like
>> you in years to come.
>
>It seems to me this is handlable by the same sort of mechanism.
>If you create a path, you're binding yourself to it, even as you
>create it. By travelling it, you define both what's Correct for
>the path, and Correct for you. If your quest concerns generosity,
>say, then you have to be generous to do it, and doing it _commits_
>you to generosity.
>
>In fact, your Traits, etc, will be altered and fixed in the same
>directions anyone who follows your path would be, except _moreso_.
>The Quester who first walked whatever-path-gives-cultists-Generous+3
>obviously had his _own_ Generous fixed to 127, or some such silly
>number, in the process, in addition to whatever other effects occurred,
>and doubtless expending a lot of "power" in the process too.

I think you can loose the numeric Will mechanic like this if you can come up with a sufficiently distinct mechanism for what I shall have to call (for now) Type II HeroQuests. If you choose to leave the path and do something new then the price should be higher (MUCH higher) than doing what has been done before.

With PENDRAGON mechanics though there ain't much point in having a score in anything above 40 (always criticals!).

I don't at this moment have a clear idea of how to express the two distinct prices:

Type I heroquest: You become somewhat more like the person who did the quest first.

Type II heroquest: You loose all ability other than to be heroically, all out and forever committed to one kind of course of action.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #553