Index-linked Traits and Tales.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:38:10 +0100 (BST)

Paul Chapman agrees with the general tenor of foregoing comments about cultural and religious trait associations, and then says:

> Each _rune_ would have trait affiliations too, and when a HQ tied
> him/herself to a rune, the relevant traits would become set at extreme
> levels

I dunno 'bout dis. That seems to be a hark-back to the old RQ idea of "mastering" a Rune, which I'm dubious about. For cult-oriented Questers, I think such notions are made largely redundant by the traits associated with each religion/diety (strike according to taste/dogmatic opinion). It may be true to some extent that all Storm gods, say, tend towards similar characteristic traits, but I don't see any real benefit for making the traits depend _directly_ on runic associations, rather than on the nature of the particular god (or Facet, all you Mask-fans).

Now, freelance freebooters like Harrek are a somewhat different case, granted. (As usual...) But even in such cases, I'd prefer to associate traits with myth-paths, rather than with alleged runic ties.

Michael O'Brien returns to a familiar theme:
> erudite anally-retentive quasi-academic textual analysis of
> Stafford's wastepaper basket at one extreme to cathartic anthropowanking
> shamanistic bottom-sniffing at the other. Plus plenty of gonzo goofball
> MGF gaming in the middle...

Do you by any chance have an emacs macro key bound to the above piece of text? ;-)

> Believe in 'Mobby' at your peril, my son

Well, you know, I'm somewhat like the proverbial [insert denomination] preacher who not merely believed in infant baptism, he'd seen it happen...

> Rest assured though, we have plans afoot for material
> that was destined for SotRM to appear soon. As I've said before, don't
> let your TotRM subscription lapse...

Rest assureder: I'm sure I'm not alone in being alone in being so depressingly prompt in resubs that David keeps pleading that I'm thereby putting him out of business, as by the time the requisite issues come out, increasing size and production quality means their value has by far outstripped what the sub. cost. ;-) In fanzine publishing, truly does no good deed go unpunished.

And I'm most glad to hear it, btw.

Promptly,
Alex.