L.s and O.s

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:35:00 -0700

Shannon! Thanks for the smaller digests. Are you coming to Victoria? If so, I'll buy ya a beer...

 Lunar occupation of Orlanth

I'd like to add that it's important to remember that there are no mass media in Glorantha. So what if the Lunars raze an Orlanth temple in Northern Heortland, and announce it in Boldhome as a scare tactic? How long will it be before the Orlanthi in Scylilla hear of it? Who's to say they won't think: "Ah, those southern types worship Orlanth all wrong, anyway. Why should we get upset and go attack the Provincial Garrison? Heck, my sister's married to one of the lieutenants!"

Rather than being motivated by vague societal values of freedom and cultural identity, I would bet that most rebellion in the provinces would be sparked by ambitious individuals trying to overthrow the current "Lunar-loving" chieftains. Old fashioned ideals would merely be a rabble rousing point - much like the infamous "anti-government/pro-freedom" groups here in the US. Not recognizing the authority of government is a great ploy to justify to cashing bad checks and intimidating the neighbors.

Pam
("What... spend money on computer stuff?!?)