Apotheosis

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 13:33:29 +0100

>Oh, BTW, whoever said that successful HQing didn't seem to reduce the
>HQer's abiltiy to HQ and thus the "Free Will expenditure for HeroPlane
>change" mechanic was flawed was right IMHO. Any ideas for a fix that feels
>right? Michael? Alex? Beuller? Anyone? ;-)

It's not that your ability gets less. You gain more power and more knowledge. You can do more things after HeroQuesting. (Perhaps I haven't been clear about this.) It is rather that you can't go to the well an infinite number of times. Something about HeroQuesting uses up your mortal life until there is nothing left for you but an immortal life. Otherwise Heroes would stay on the Mundane Plane forever screwing up the lives of mortals. Arkat left, Pavis left, Whatshisname Greydog left....

All right, the Pharoh, the Red Emperor, Androgeus and Harrek didn't...

(By the way, whoever asked, I don't think that the Only Old One was a Hero, although I'm willing to be corrected. He just survived from before Time and didn't maintain any mythological structures of his own.)

David Dunham said:

>Michael Cule wrote
>
>> I was thinking hard about how to account for the fact that the Pharoh
>> does not suffer from the 'pressure' that we have been told again and
>> again forces most Heroes to leave the Mundane World and apotheosise.
>
>Where have we been told this?

Greg, lots and lots of times....

Look if he's definitely changed his mind on this I want to know NOW!

>BTW, I think most people *want* to apotheosize. That's one way to become
>immortal...

Well, yes. But would you want an afterlife in which you spent eternity doing the same things over and over and never being properly aware that you're trapped in a loop. And the only relief is when you get these emeergency DI calls from your miserable followers.... "All right! Stop whining! Sheesh! So what if you are having your leg eaten by aligators? Listen, you think you've got troubles...."