Herodom thrust upon them.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:34:06 +0100 (BST)

Michael Cule quotes me:
> >What I suspect _does_ force the Hero towards (bodily)
> >apotheosis is that basically, he can't stop Questing. [...]

> I'm sorry but I don't know how this becomes a problem. We need a point
> at which the Hero can no longer continue to shuttle back and forward
> between the Hero Plane and the Mundane Plane. And it has to be
> quantifiable.

I don't necessarily disagree, though that wasn't really the point I was addressing. I agree with, at least in broad terms, what's been said about being "forced" onto the HP permanently, though I need to give it more though before I pontificate overly on the subject. But certainly, once all your Traits are at 39 (or 0) and 99.9% of your POW (or WILL, or whatever) is bound on the HP, you're deuced well effectively stuck there, whether your body has realised it yet or not.

Given this, I was arguing that beyond a certain level of "Herodom", you're effectively on a slippery slope to that situation, though most Heroes will either pack up with a suitably grand apotheosis once Their Work is Done, or simply inadvertantly die. But simply stopping questing is not a feasible option in the longer term.

> Yes, I'm sure there is a psychological compulsion to Just One More
> Quest.

Not just that -- I'm suggesting there be a "cosmological" compulsion. That performing ritual acts, or even mundane ones with a related mythic "meaning", would cause you to be "sucked" on to the HP. And once there, you effectively have to perform the (an) appropriate quest. And this quest has the same effects of "will"/"bouyancy" as any other, however we choose to represent it.

> I'm coming to agree with you that (Will or POW or whatever) costs must
> be paid at the time of making the change. We need to do this to allow
> for bungled quests and changes that turn out to be faulty.

Good point. Perhaps this implies that the worst "bungles" are the apparent successes, since if you know you've gone wrong, you wouldn't complete the quest. Although equally, I suppose you can foul things up almost arbitrarily at any stage, either pre- or post-"Elixir", given sufficient talent for it.

I'm assuming you _can_ simply abort a Quest, as His Gregship has said as much, though I'd be inclined to question this for "deeper" quests. Nor am I sure what interpretation to put on the sort of change to myth this would (or wouldn't) represent. Perhaps you do something like this by having "stock endings", to get you out of trouble without necessarily accomplishing anything. Which may have the effect of at least marginally weakening the underlying myth...

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #24