Re: "Unpublished" stuff, woad, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:30:31 -0400

____ ______ =

Rick "MiG" Meints writes:

> Several opinions have been expressed about how we should refer to Greg'=
s =

> unpublished stuff... I'm all for just saying it's unpublished and leav=
e =

> it at that. Why bother tagging it with a value judgement? =

The simple answer is that "unpublished" sounds suspiciously like "not yet=  =

published", or "publishable but inexplicably overlooked". It implies that=  =

there is some finished, worthwhile and auctorially-approved motherlode of=  =

material out there, which the Military/Industrial Complex (or Evils of =

Capitalism, or Declining Gaming Market, or favourite other boogeyman) =

won't allow to see print. This is not the case, and is a belief I'm happy=  =

to squash. =

I cannot help but feel that, even had he been a publisher, some core of =

common sense and self-respect would have prevented J.R.R.T. from letting =

Trotter the Clog-Wearing Hobbit and Tinfang Warble the Dancing Elf from =

seeing the light of day. As Greg *is* a publisher, and has not seen fit =

to publish some of the "apocrypha" (i.e. jottings, rough drafts, juvenali= a, =

and other contents of his filing system at Chaosium), the term 'unpublish= ed' =

doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. =

To take a close-to-home example: is the first ever draft of Rick's "Index=  to =

Glorantha" unpublished? Literally, yes. In any meaningful sense, no: what=  =

Rick chose to publish was a revised and expanded and extended and improve= d =

version of a good idea he first had many moons ago. Rick's original idea = was
good, but that doesn't mean the napkin it was first scribbled down on has=  =

any special priority or precedence compared to the vulgar mass-release. =

Anecdotally, one of the most creative Gloranthan authors I know was at on= e =

time deterred from sending in any of his submissions, because he (wrongly= ) =

believed that complete draft versions of every "coming soon" Chaosium RQ =

product must be on file somewhere, and that he'd be wasting his time if h= e =

sent in any of his own "stop-gap" creations. =

_______ =

Stephen tells part of the story of the first "Broken Council" Dara Happan=  =

coup. What he omits is that, originally, the man chosen to become the big= gest =

prick in Gloranthan myth and history was myself, playing the young son of=  the =

martyred Emperor Khorzanelm. Under the sound tutelage of my evil stepfath= er, =

Mathiman the Usurper, I let myself be taught that immortal glory could be=  =

mine if I played my part by saving the Perfect One from unwanted femalene= ss. =

We all felt this was a mythically sound and eminently Dara Happan solutio= n =

to the problems posed by the Council's (frankly rather daft) mythmanageme= nt. =

(I freely admit that familiarity with the street celebrations orchestrate= d =

by Ptolemy Philadelphus bore heavily on my willingness to be convinced: t= his =

Macedonian king of ancient Egypt had a sixty-yard long golden todger para= ded =

publicly to celebrate his own life-enhancing properties. Eat your heart o= ut, =

Martin Laurie!) =

Daniel writes illuminatingly about Jaldon. I'd never known this stuff. Th= anx!

> I might also recommend Nick Brooke as being very good at applying swirl=
y =

> blue colors to ones' face.

Ta muchly for the reference. I'll only add that a face shaped like Dan's = is =

crying out to have swirly blue patterns painted all over it...

> To Nick: If I had twenty Lunars in my valley I'd share them with you.

We'd hardly have to break a sweat, Dan.

(You know the old "One Orlanthi can beat two Lunars" joke, I'm sure...)

Jane wrote:

> I thought the Woad spell required the stuff to be applied to the whole =
body.

Probably does, but not in a "scientific" manner. And I'm *sure* it's pain= ted
on in swirls and spirals and clouds and runes, not just splashed on all o= ver.
And also sure that a partly-painted body gains partial protection. Achill= es =

would have been OK, if I'd been allowed to paint his swirly bits blue...

Let's not forget our woad and tartans for the "Fall of the House of Malan= "! =

:::: =

Nick =

:::: =