heroquesting

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 07:05:30 -0700

Nick Brooke, who still hasn't quite ended the Compuserve Curse, wrote:

>Ditto heroquesting, IMHO. I don't think different "rules" should be needed
>(all this faffing around preventing it turning into SuperRuneQuest would
be
>irrelevant, if we recognised that all RQ characters are potential HQers,
>that powerful HQers are powerful RQers, etc. The single rule-set can say
>that Magic, Traits, Skills etc. "work differently" in heroquest situations
>than in more mundane ones; but like David I would prefer a single common
>set of mechanics to be used by the same character in all circumstances.

Add me to that list. With one caveat - I don't agree that powerful HQers are necessarily very powerful RQers, and I certainly don't agree that powerful RQers are powerful HQers. If Heroquesting is a plot issue rather than a skill/rules issue, then a powerful HQ is a plot with large stakes and repercussions. It isn't necessarily something that requires Onslaught - - maybe Boranthos the carl truly has the best chance of walking in that path.

>NB: complaining that Pendragon "breaks" if everyone has skills in the
30-40
>region is rather a waste of time. Work out how to avoid *giving away* many
>skills of that level, and you have no problem. RuneQuest "breaks" when the
>Crimson Bat fights Ralzakark, if you ask me...

Here here! I don't see how you get PenDragon Pass characters with unmodified skills over 25, PERIOD. Heck, in ToDP the highest skill I am aware of is Boranthos' stewardship of 21 (then again maybe Boranthos is the Onslaught of farmers).

Jose Ramos wrote:
>Harmast, I think, was just an orlanthi whose make up was perfectly tuned
to the LBQ. So once he set >up in the path of a hero, he tended to use the LBQ, or fragments of such to solve all his troubles (so he >did it twice!).

When I read Harmastsaga, I did not get this impression. Harmast mucked up the LBQ and got lost in Ralios. As for using fragments of the LBQ - I got the opposite impression. It seemed that every myth-path that Harmast knew got thrown into the LBQ.

Jeff