Belintar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 19:48 MET DST

Erik Sieurin:
>First, since I also dislike the Egyptian association (Esrolians DO
>have mummies, but only certain folks are mummified - and it aint a
>blessing) I always refer to the Pharao as 'the GodKing' IMG.

I try to have different names for him in different parts of the Holy Country. The Heortlander urbanites IMG use Godking, not yet sure what the rural Orlanthi say. The God Forgotten likely call him Grand Master of Luck and Death, memorising his "lucky" break of the bank.

>I'm really interested in this guy. He did in some way 'best' each of
>the lands of the Holy Country (another name which gives totally wrong
>associations for me, so I call the place Maniria

I usually say "Kethaela" when I want to avoid the Outremer connotations, but I think that these are correct for the Westerners (Trader Princes) who settled there.

[Belintar's tricks gaining control:]
>That gives a pattern. Now, how did he get similar power over
>Heortland, Caladraland and the Rightarm Islands?

I've been desperately wondering about this myself, and in discussions. According to Stephen Martin (who co-originated this idea with Nick on Convulsion '94, IIRC) in Caladraland he was thrown into the Vent but married the Volcano goddess instead. A bit too similar to Esrolia for my taste. The Islands event might have been his raising of Loon Island (presumably the basis for the City of Wonders).

I have been tearing my hair for a good action for Heortland, but so far inspiration has failed me. Bitter for someone whose campaign setting is there...

>Is there anything said about this in say RQ Companion?

Not verbatim. A couple of his exploits are mentioned:

: Belintar revealed that he had come to depose the Only Old One and liberate
: the land from darkness. He did this through the process of mustering ancient
: allies on Heroquest and opposing the magical forces which aided the Only
: Old One. Belintar called forth many of the Silver Age heroes, plus others
: of more recent or a different origin [possibly including the Volcano twins,
: and likely (St.) Aeol]. The process was long and difficult. At one point
: Belintar was slain and completely devoured. But in the end he succeeded.
: He met the Only Old One himself in combat and cast him down and cut him
: in pieces. Then he pulverized the Castle of Black Glass, covering all of
: Shadow Plateau with a dense, heavy black sand which smothers most life.
: He made other changes in the land too: raising Loon Island and fabricating
: the City of Wonders in the center of the Mirrorsea. He then took the title
: of Pharaoh and began his rule.

Not too specific, and no mentions of the "bestings".

>And in which order did these
>thing happen? I like the idea that every 'besting' gave him things he
>needed for the next one. Anyone who has a clue, or an idea?

Start with either Caladraland (currently favoured by me) or Rightarm Islands (Sindpaper was his first stop, but he needn't have performed his 'besting' already then.)

>The High Chairperson of the IOGTR,

Time for me to come out and join publicly... but you didn't catch _me_ with my pants down.