heroquest initiation

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:52:40 -0700

Howdy all,

Michael Cule asked what is meant in KoS pg. 68 in the tale entitled "The Court of Silence." In particular he asks about these paragraphs:

Here is what happens when you die:
Your soul seperates from your body. For seven days the soul lingers near the body, drifting farther apart from it and developing spirit senses. It is like a yolk for the developing soul. When it is ready, the soul flies inward into the heart space, which is a mirror that cannot be fully penetrated until you are dead, or have acquired a heroquest initiation.

In this context, I would speculate that the Orlanthi believe that there are rites that initiate one into the secrets of the heart space - the heroquest initiation. This may be related to the secret of the Second Son - in many ways, the truest Hero of the Orlanthi. This heroquest initiation may be what the Second Son passed on to Heort, allowing Heort to survive I Fought We Won and return. If you want to know what I'm talking about - wait until Enclosure comes out at the end of this month.

Jeff