Oh yeah? You haven't met my players....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:05:20 +0100

Alex says some nice things but then berates me:
>I think what you're suggesting intuitively corresonds to the truth,
>but you're making something of a rod for your own back by insisting
>on an ultra-detailed specific game mechanic for it, I suspect.

I not only want a game specific mechanic, I want one that will make the players consider very carefully if they want to accept the burden of HeroQuesting in the first place.

Yes, you can do it by hand waving but I prefer to make things clear in advance.

>The real purpose for game rules is, after all, play, and it's not
>something I see coming up a whole lot. Once your players are Heroes,
>and have done what they've set out to, it should become fairly evident
>to them that Their Work Is Done, and Isn't Life Boring Here Now?
>Have them make trait rolls and find mythic justification for blowing
>their noses or going down the pub, and they might just get the hint. ;-)
>"Ho-ho, another six criticals, eh lads?"

Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha.

I do not expect players to let their characters ride off nobly into the sunset (although some have). I rather expect them to hang on to power and glory until it is prised from their dead fingers.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #44