Wormless Quests; Garland of Shoes; Craft god

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:04:46 -0700

Joerg Baumgartner claimed

> Almost all of Orlanth's myths are about achieving one goal and opening at
> least one new can of worms.

Killing Aroka: what new problems are there, once drought is ended and Orlanth has a new, loyal friend?

Orlanth and Sofala: what can of worms?

Summons of Evil: all worms are burned

Orlanth the Justice Bringer: only worms I can think of is that Harand and Jarani aren't reconciled -- but they didn't start out as friends.

Wooing of Ernalda: OK, he's married, and that brings on a new set of problems in human relationships, but that's hardly a new can of worms. I think a more reasonable interpretation is that the world has changed (just as it does when you get married).

Since I haven't found a single myth which opens new problems, I'm going to stop.

A short piece in today's Christian Science Monitor caught my eye. I think it's relevant for Glorantha: "India's commercial capital was attempting to return to normal after two days of violence. It began after someone in a Bombay suburb draped a garland of shoes -- a major insult -- around the statue of a low-caste hero, touching off a riot. Police fired on the protesters, killing 10. Two more people died in later rioting. Protesters called a one-day strike, blocked trains, and forced businesses to close."

Do the Orlanthi have a god of crafters? Gustbran is clearly invoked by smiths. Iphigios is known in Sylila (and may or may not be Orlanthi), but that's all I can think of.