The Day the Fire Died

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:07:26 -0400

By popular request (well, two of you asked about it), here are the lyrics=

of Boris Mikey's *excellent* song,

THE DAY THE FIRE DIED A long, long time ago
I can still remember
How the free winds always used to blow.
And I know if we're left alone
That we would not cause harm to none
Except maybe just a cattle raid or so.
But then the Red Moon made me shudder
With each barbaric "Yawp!" I'd utter.
Chaos in the lowlands
It seemed more than I can stand!
As I recall it took my breath
When I heard how fared the House of Death And strife divided kin from kith
The Day the Fire Died.

        So...
        Bye, bye! Time to fight now or die.
        Tell my Pappy I'll go happy
        Tell my Mamma don't cry.
        Us Sartar boys will take our weapons and try:
        Gonna tear that Red Moon down from the sky!
        Tear that Red Moon down from the sky!

Well have you heard the Princes' Tale
And do you recall how Boldhome fell
As the godi tell it true?
And do you believe in Sartar's Flame
Can you name every Prince by name
And can you paint the Runes in woad so blue? Well you know that you are Orlanth's son 'Cause you feel the storms in your blood run! It's time to take your spear
And fight for all that's dear!
When all of Sartar's fighting thanes
=46rom the Far Point gors to the Swenstown plains Recall now all our wounds and pains
The Day the Fire Died!

        Let's go singing...

Now for nineteen turns we've shed our tears And rust grows red on our swords and spears But that's not how it used to be.
When the Princes fought for you and me
When they fought to keep Orlanthi free
And their Flame burned bright for all to see. But when Terasarin scaled the height
A moonbeam came and stole his sight.
He fell down to his doom
No corpse in royal tomb.
And while godis sang his shade to rest
Slain by the Moon we all detest
The seers foretold we'd fail the test
The Day the Fire Died.

        They were singing...

Flying, dying, Red Moon defying
The Ram fought off the Granite Lion
As Salinarg put on his crown.
His heirs all took grim Humakt's vow
Their House of Death refused to bow
To the Empire, which had sworn to cast them down. Now the Boldhome siege was sorely pressed As Red Moon hags flew oer the crest.
The Bat filled all with dread
But a Dragon killed it dead.
Dread Harsaltar faced Moonson's ire
Gave mortal wound, and from geas expired As Dragonewts then quenched the pyre
The Day the Fire Died

        We were singing...

And there they came all at one time
To break the Storm Victorious shrine
And we just had to stop them then.
We called "Starbrow lead us, Starbrow Queen Kallyr, Kallai, and Hofstaring,"
And we kicked out the Lunars once again! Then Fazzur came through Furthest Gap
He wiped Duck Point right off the map.
Treeleaper dragged to Hell
By foul chaotic spell!
Then he offered peace, "Lay down your arms! Swear to your Prince, go to your farms!" The ducks got blamed, took all the harms Since when the Fire Died!

        They stopped singing...

I met a bard who sang the winds
And I asked when they'd blow free again
But she just sighed and turned away.
I went up to the sacred hill
To feel the free winds blowing still,
But the godi couldn't call the sylphs to play. And in the fields the stagnant air
Just steals my breath when I'm out there. No skalds are now heard singing
The wind chimes hang unringing.
And the three kings then that led our host Kallai, Kallyr, Treeleaper most,
They're dead, or fled, or damned, poor ghost Since when the Fire died.

        And they'd been singing...
        Bye, bye! Time to fight now or die.
        Tell my Pappy I'll go happy
        Tell my Mamma dont cry.
        Us Sartar boys will take our weapons and try:
        Gonna tear that Red Moon down from the sky!
        Tear that Red Moon down from the sky!

                Tune:   American Pie, Don MacLean
                Words:  Maurice Beyke, aka Boris Mikey

What the reviewers said:

> Highlights: Sing Along with Nick - Orlanthi lyrics and new tunes
> have been added to the previous repetoire of dreary Soviet-turned-
> Lunar songs, a big improvement! By late evening, when it was held,
> the participants were plastered enough to complete (and enjoy!) all
> 97 verses of a Sartarite patriot song to the tune of "American Pie".

::::
Nick
::::