EWF and Sun County

From: Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:20:49 +1200

Nigel Phillips:

>Some months ago (last Christmas maybe?), I read a wonderfully amusing
>interpretation of the Sun Dome history in Prax, and the reasons for the
>geases against dressing as a woman. (Somash & Teshnos links).

The article can be found in digest volume 3.080. There's also an related article at 3.081 and some effort has gone into combining the two along with a third set of theories. As a result, the sequence of events and details has changed a bit but the connection is still there. I'm given to understand that final theory might be published in Questlines II.

Chris Bell:

>Perhaps the form we see of the Red
>Goddess is literally a constructed deity, combining mythic techniques
>to mold and form the older Pelorian Moon Goddesses (Rufelza, etc.)
>into a more useful form (religiously/politically,etc?)

Virtually every culture in glorantha moulds their gods to make them useful to themselves. So to call this process God-Learnerism obscures what the God Learners actually did and tells us nothing about what the Seven Mothers did.

>Coud Illumination have protected some God Learners from the wrath
>of the Gift Bringers?

If a God Learner was Illuminated then he would no longer be a God Learner because the Illumination would have destroyed the very basis of his belief. But as far as we know, no God Learner has known the forbidden secret, become illuminated and survived the Gift Carriers.

Plenty of heirs to the God Learners exist to this day. The largest group is the Malkioni Church and no gift-carriers go after them.

>This may be important, as some of these very
>same Illuminated God Learners, or there descendants, were involved
>in the re-creation of the Red Goddess.

The real problem with this is that the God Learners were never a force (or even a presence) in Peloria. So what would a coven of God Learners be doing there? I would expect to find the God Learners with nefarious agendas in the places where the God Learners were historically strong. These places would be the Clanking City, the Isles of the Mournsea, the ruined universities of Umathela, Ramalia or even masquersading as Lawful Citizens in Malkioni society. A small town in NE Peloria ranks well down the list.

Furthermore God Learnerism is obslete. To be a God Learner in the modern age of Glorantha is akin to being a musketman in the 20th century battlefield. It is a relic of a bygone age and most insights that they had (other than the RuneQuest Sight and the Forbidden Secret) have long been subsumed into philosophies that do not have the flaws of the God Learners. Even the modern God Learners with nefarious agendas do not have the same beliefs as the historical God Learners but have adapted and moved on.

>In RPG terms, how would EWF
>magic differ from the traditional Rune and Battle Magic (Divine/Spirit)
>Magic available to the cultures around Dragon Pass and central
>Generatela?

Some incomplete musings have been tossed about not so long ago. The articles concerned can be found in digests (vol.no) 4.538, 4.548, 4.562, 4.563 and 5.001

>EWF experts, to what extant did the EWF reach? Was it merely a Dragon
>Pass phenomenon, or did it reach to the Holy Country and up into Peloria?

It controlled Dragon Pass and Saird by the year 700 and was involved in subduing the land of Prax. It controlled Dara Happa and the East Wilds by 900 ST with the Shadowlands. By 1040, it was pushed back to Dragon Pass again.