Yelm Cult, God Learners

From: Mark Sabalauskas <marks_at_shell2.tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

>After all the stuff about Teshnos recently, I thought I would go and look out
>an "official" Yelm writeup, basically to steal ideas from for use as a
>prototype Somash cult. Found the entry in GoG, no problem, but surprisingly,
>there doesn't seem to be a full write-up anywhere.
>
>Anyone got one stashed away somewhere?

        There was write-up in White Wolf Magazine #16. If you can't borrow a copy, some gaming stores keep copies of back issues that don't sell, you could check around.

        The write-up is about ten years old, though, so don't expect it to reflect all the new information in the Glorious Reascent of Yelm or the Fortunate Succession. For some of us, of course, this could be seen as more of a feature than a bug. :-) Anyway, if you don't have either of these, you might want to look at them, or maybe not, as the information is very cultural specific.

        There is also a fair bit of approachable info about the "sun pantheon" in Wyrms Footprints, which also contains many other wonders.

>think that GLism made many inroads into Peloria, thus its impact on the
>creation of the RG was nil.

        Of course, if the God Learners brought about their own doom, and if the nature of their downfall changed the way magic works in Glorantha, then it seems likely that the God Learners having existed had a substantial (if indirect) impact on the creation of the Red Goddess.

        Still, people seem to have been able to make to make fairly extreme changes to mythology before the God Learners existed. So it seems possible that a Red Goddess could have been created had the God Learners never existed. On the other hand, this being the case, it's not so clear (to me anyway) what distinction Pelorian mythology derives from not being in an area of God Learner influence.

                        Mark