Ducks and EWF

From: Martin Hultgren <MartinHultgren_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:35:57 -0700

Hello
I=B4ve followed the Duck origin discussion and decided to add by view. Sergio Mascarenhas writes
>We have three different views on ducks origins till now:
>Michael Cule - Ducks are of the same species and have cultural and mythi=
cal
>connections to keets.
>Me - Ducks and keets are of the same species but don't share any cultura=
>or mythical ties. (If I had to defend my position I would say that I bas=
>it on materials published by Chaosium and AH.)
>David Dunham - Ducks are a recent creation of the EWF.

Well, here is another option that is a compromise between Sergio=B4s and David=B4s/Michael=B4s views.
Once upon a time, there were a rather silly looking race called keet=B4s.=

At the same time there were this promising empire called EWF, unfortunaly the empire lacked morale and decided that the silly race would do swell as zoo exhibits, much like the centaurs and minotaurs, already a featured.
So the simply went out and captured a few. Sometime later they had to get more, but the trip(s?) to keet territory proved expensive, so they asked their scientist/mages to get them cheaper instead.
The mages merged birds and men into birdmen, thus creating a new strain of ducks (with the same genetic code as the old one, ok they were good). They then proceded to crossbreed the old and the new strain into what we now calls Maniria=B4n ducks, basicaly the same breed as keet=B4s but with=

slight, possibly cosmetic differences.
Do they still have cultural ties to their old brethren? possibly, but remember that Keet had ties to the Emperor of the world (sounds Yelmish to me, although I could be wrong) and the EWF if I remember correctly was a Yelmite culture if not Yelm worshipers, so once freed they would not be in a hurry to go back to the ways of a dimly remembered culture similar to their tourturers, diluted by whatever the constructs added. So what support this theory? well not very much I have to admit, but we know that EWF often made up their beastmen by copying mythical races (as the Centaurs) and that they often crossed their construct with "true" strains, and it explain quite a lot.
For example it explains why the EWF accepted the morbid exhibits, originaly they were only another strange race, later the constructs were substituted for real ones as a way to lower the cost (and other types of construcs introduced as desperate marketing ploys to draw the crowd back with new even stranger beast).
Other than that it fits into, and combines any myth constructed by any of the old three views without any major reconstructions. =

Critisism anyone?

By the way, does any of my fellow swedes out there know how to get all those new product that Wizards attic dont sell to us europeans?

This went on a bit longer than I had expected, sorry about that, well back to work.

Yelms speed to you all.