Uz had to kill dad, made uz sad

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 00:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel McCluskey wrote:

> Karg Son's cannibalism:
> This is one of the biggest (to Uz) benefits of being a Rune
> Lords of KL. I think that upon attaining the station, a Karg Son gets
> to actually Kill a Relative for food.

Yuk! A benefit? Trolls *value* their family connections, and your family is a source of power and strength in trollish society. I've always thought that the "relative eating" restriction on Karrg is a huge weakness -- if you're not careful, you're forced to slaughter and devour your best allies or give up your cult rank.

Rather than a bennie, I suspect it's a punishment forced upon Karrg by Kyger Litor long ago for some unsavory act.

> else. Other trolls are Extremely jealous of this exception.
Or perhaps forced on the cult of Karrg by the Zorak Zorani, somehow (humiliation by heroquest). What better way to subvert your chief rival than by forcing them to eat their brothers and sisters? "Ha, ha, had to eat yer cousin, didn'tcha ya stoopid Karrg's Wussy!"

> I may have to rethink things somewhat if this truly is a
> seasonal requirement (I thought it was once-only, but prolly failed my
> memory roll).

'Tis.

> Most male trolls just don't have enough relatives (even
> enlo) to kill off five a year. Even one a year strikes me as too many.
Ol' Minarth may have goofed up -- perhaps he should have translated it as "part of a relative"? If you only have to eat a _part_ of the relative, it might make more sense. Plus you can add that fun Yakuza element to trolls. ("What? You let the Elves escape?! Take two knuckles and an ear to uncle Bodag's next KS feast!")

> Now, I might pass off the monthly kin-feast as a common boast
> made to Bearded Human Types. You will note that KL ain't got no truth
> rune ;-)

Which would explain where the plethora of KS restrictions came from! :)

David Weihe pointed out:
> TINY, HAH!! You can't kill another troll for eating (barring enlo), but
> you can kill her/him for looking at you crosseyed, or picking her/his
> teeth at you, or whatever. <snip: and then eat her/him.>
Well, um, *that* would be the BIG loophole. ;)