EWF, trolls, cultures

From: Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:48:26 +0400

Jeff Richard:
> I hate to say this but the EWF was largely a Heortling Orlanthi creation

Hear hear, when Eurmal split someone's brain in two and made them understand DragonSpeech. Everything about the EWF was Orlanthi, including their splendid conquering of Dara Happa and Carmania. It's just a shame that they began meddling in the affairs of their subjects instead of concentrating on the final goal. They might have succeeded then.

> Good point -- IMO, trolls believe that the entire corpse must be
destroyed
> for the spirit of the dead uz to travel on to Wonderhome.
Nah, the trolls know that their spirits go back to Wonderhome if the funeral rites are followed correctly. They just like a big feast.

Steve Martin on were:

> Can anyone tell me the linguistic origin of this word, or any modern day
> words (besides werewolf, etc.) which we can relate it to?

Weregild (cost of a man's like in Anglo Saxon/Norse culture, or look at Vikings).
Isn't there a watchwere somewhere? Maybe not. Can't think of any more off hand, but give me time......

> Although not an exact science, linguistics is one of the best tools for
studying
> Glorantha, IMO.

Balderdash and poppycock. Next you'll be telling us that Greg Stafford put some thought into naming things and places - "Corflu = Correcting Fluid", "Nochet = Not yet" and so on. I bet he had as much trouble thinking of names as the average player who names his PC as an afterthought. Maybe things are better now, but earlier on he named things after people he knew or played games with (look at the early RuneQuest Rules and supplements and try to match the names of people with the names or places in the supplements - Ingili, Swenstown, Zorak Zoran and you'll get the point).
Anyone who draws more than rough ideas through Gloranthan linguistics is fooling themselves. (Dag = Hunger is about the most consistent word I can find).

Ralph Plowman asks about the look of the Cultures of Glorantha.

Orlanthi: Dark Ages, Celts, Anglo Saxons, Vikings. Ranging from Berserker Celts, gloriously nude with Woad and tattoos to Viking Knights clad completely in mail riding fairly heavy horse (especially in the Westernised Orlanth areas).

Praxians: These are North American Indians but riding different mounts to horses. Different hairstyles and clothing are detailed in Cults of Prax, but look at Borderlands or Nomad Gods for illustrations.

Agimori: Zulus or Watusi (although I am certain they used to be the Red-Skinned, taking after Lodril, but I can't find the reference).

Pentians: Mongols or Huns, on itsy bitsy horses or on Huge Divine Mounts taller than a man.

Balazaring Natives: Stone Age primitives. Think of 1 million years BC and have hundreds of Raquel Welsh clones wandering the plains.

Dara Happan Exiles (Balazar, Sun County, Sartar Sun Dome): Classical Greece, Hoplites in Plate or Bezainted armour, spears, bows, large shields, usually on foot but sometimes mounted, pikes occasionally.

Dara Happans: Mainly Classical Greek, but when non-armoured wearing togas. Noblemen on horses or Griffons, some with Eagles.

Lunars: Persian or Assyrian, Scimitars, short spears, javelins, various shaped shields, depending on the area they come from, some have square shields, some oblong, some circular or crescent shape. Generally units are similar, being from the same place. A hotch-potch of styles.

Carmanians: I saw these as being more like Mycenean Greeks with Boar Helmets, Mail Shirts and big swords.

Western Cultures: Anything from the Western Medieval Period, set each kingdom with its own feel. So, put Spanish Knights in one place, Knights Templar in another, Moorish Knights somewhere else. Basically, Knights on big horses with men-at-arms fodder following behind.

Kralorela: Medieval Chinese (Water Margin).

Vormain: Samurai Japan

East Isles: Anything you like - there are thousands of cultures there.

I also use Knights Templars for Ralzakark's Broo Legion for no other reason than it looks really cool.

Hmmm, maybe you wanted cultural bases rather than simply appearance.

Orlanthi: Germanic Culture (Celtic/Anglo Saxon/Norse). Praxian: Amerind
Votanki: Stone Age
Dara Happan: Classical Greek
Lunar: Assyrian/Persian (NOT Roman)
Carmanian: Mycenean
Western: Medieval Crusader Europe or Medieval Crusader Moors, depending on which area.
Kralorela: Medieval Chinese (Water Margin still) Vormain: Samurai Japan
Fronela: Animal herding nomads, Lapp Landers, Siberian Reindeer Herders, that kind of thing.
In Pamaltela there are Moors/Turks in (can't remember the name but when I hear it I'll scream).

Got to go - starting to babble.

Simon

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #99