ducks

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:54:12 -0700

Sergio Mascarenhas quacked out

> Here I try to conciliate three different views on ducks into a
> single coherent view. the three positions are:
>
> - - Ducks resulted from a golden age curse when they lost the hability to
> fly; they are happy like that.
> - - Ducks resulted from a golden age curse when they lost the hability to
> fly; they are not happy and want to recover the hability to flight.
> - - Ducks are a product of EWF magic.

>From RQ2: "[Ducks are] a race cursed by the gods during the Great Darkness
for not joining them versus the forces of Chaos. It is unknown whehter they were originally human and became feathered and web-footed, or originally ducks cursed with flightlessness and intelligence. ... they cannot fly, having arms instead of wings."

I still think there are two positions: Ducks were originally birds, or ducks were originally humans. How this happened is a second-level choice (a godly curse or Delecti's [or other EWF Remaker] meddling). Finally, the third level choice: are they happy. This gives at least 8 positions, such as: "Delecti took ducks, bred them for size, and implanted human brains. The Ducks appreciated their ability to thrive in swamps, and forever thanked Delecti" or "The gods cursed the Durulz clan by converting them to duck form. This awful curse constantly reminds them that they didn't help against chaos, which is why they're now so rabidly anti-Undead." The other 6 positions are left as an exercise for the reader. There are of course sub-variations, depending on how closely you want to connect them to keets.

As to the Great Darkness, that's a myth, and might not be 100% historically accurate. Also, it may be they WERE cursed during the Great Darkness, but the form change didn't happen immediately. (Maybe Delecti took pity on the humans cursed to live in the swamp, and gave them a form that let them thrive.)

> Druluz

I recommend a different name; it's too confusing to have Druluz and Durulz. (Unfortunately, the linguistic change that leaps into mind is durulz -> trolls...)

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #102