RW vs. Glorantha

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 23:21 MET DST

Paul Harmaty addressing Jane:
>It has struck me that the problem with this discussion is the
>bludgeoning being done with RW science.
>RW science has no place in Glorantha.

RW experience has a place in Glorantha. Sometimes RW experience has to do with sciences...

>The Gloranthan world isn't even a sphere!
>Why should RW biology hold true?

Because if it doesn't, you need to explain for instance why living beings have to eat. Or why it is that stones don't.

>Mysterious & wonderful things happen on Glorantha.

Usually with lots of magic involved, i.e. under unusual circumstances:

>For example: Telmori women could & should have wolf cycles.
>Hell they can give birth to cubs!

As can (theoretically) every other female with the proper curse/acting avatar of a female Telmor...

I challenge you to tell me where it is written that an ordinary say Yinkin Hsunchen female human will throw a litter of kittens after having had mundane sex with her husband, or likewise for Telmori, Basmoli, or Moose-Hsunchen.

>How does that fit in the RW?

Gene-splicing instead of magic? IMO the effort going into such offspring is comparable...

>Glorantha women's cycles could be the cause for the HUMANs using
>the calendar they do!

So Dara Happan women have four menses a year, Theyalan women have five, Kralori have seven? What happens if you "cross" a Theyalan sailor with a Kralori whore in the port of Lur Nop?

>They are the Majority of the people using the calendar aren't they?

In Theyalan lands, yes. In the Lunar Empire, not necessarily. At least not 600 years ago...

>Maybe, just maybe it doesn't fit the way they view the world. There
>are probably thousands of ways to divide 294 days. Why is it done the
>way it is?

You mean into weeks of six days, as the Pamaltelans do? Or do they have a different, though somewhat parallel time-flow? What happens if Theyalans live among Pamaltelans, then?

>I think it's exciting that Glorantha's seasons and year are built on a
>biological model not an astrological model.

Prax knows three meteorological seasons: Winter Fertile, Summer (=sterile?), and Rains. What does this tell us about fertility of Praxian females? Native Praxians don't care much about the Theyalan calendar. They can recognize their holy days by reading the night sky rather than by assigning strange concepts like Earth Season to the most barren time of their year cycle.

>Trying to find some planetary reason for menses on Glorantha IMHO is ridiculous

Not reasons, but useful meters. Gloranthan night sky gives an enviably exact clock in clear nights, with an 8-hour index (Mastakos aka Uleria), plus a measurer for the amount of night to be expected (Lightfore), and a couple of planets which can tell you whether it is Disorder/Harmony/Stasis/Movement week or not (Tolat/Shargash, blissfully absent during Theyalan Sacred Time), etc.

With such a precision tool, time measurements in clear nights can be almost as exact as real world wrist-watches.

>The fact that Gloranthan humans would not be exactly RW humans doesn't
>bother me in the least.
>They are still 99.9% recognizable as human.

The problem is that you get internal inconsistencies with your theory, or else you have one culture Right and all others Wrong.

And we just thought we were through the Sobjectivity Bore...

P.S.: As Theya Twomother probably will corroborate, a good Orlanthi woman will have about three cycles per year, and be pregnant the rest of the time...