Herd-men as familiars

From: goihl_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de <goihlk_at_komma.fddi2.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:01:18 +0000

Hy Ancient Feelers,

Tal Meta <talmeta_at_cybercomm.net>wrote: Has anyone attempted using a herd-man as a familiar? My group recently encountered such a beast while attempting to apprehend a sorcerer (in the Malkioni sense of the word) and were misled into believing for quite awhile that the herd-man familiar was in fact the sorcerer.

I doubt a herd-man has mouth-muscles which would be developed enuf for speaking, or such a tongue either, tho that may not be so difficult to train. I really doubt they even have human-like vocal-cords tho. They also have a rather fat gut from digesting so much fiberous plant material, and there should be other things which distinguish their bodies from those of humans. A familiar in one could be taught to keep itself clean and to stand straight and act like a human. Sandy has written some things on how herd-men mature and how long they live. Here are my questions: Do herd-men have beards? Do they even have the same hair-patterns as humans? Does their hair turn grey and do they get old enuf for that to happen? Do the males often go bald? There could be all kinds of small differences. Do they look much like one of the human races? Are there different "racial traits" among them? Little things to consider. Daniel