Menses (yet again)

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:27:11 EDT

Alex Ferguson

>Various people suggest that Gloranthan women ought to be "tide-locked"
>to assorted celestological bodies and/or calendar features, and beat
>each other over the head as to which it should be.

I think Alex is missing the point, certainly he is missing my point.

The point is not that human women are tide-locked. The point is this. Given the _fact_ of a menstrual cycle of about 29 1/2 days for most women. And, given the likelihood that the RW association between menses and the moon (whether based in science or not) carries to Glorantha. The, what celestial body (or other natural feature) are most Gloranthans _likely_ to _associate_ with menses.

If the cycle is 29 or so days, I find it extremely unlikely that Shargash or Dendara won't be called upon, because they fit this cycle quite well.

If the cycle is 8 weeks, it is just as unlikely that Artia won't be associated.

But I agree with Alex on at least one of his answers, if not some of the others or his approach: even though the amazons of Trowjang view the planet Tolat as a male god, _I_ would simply be amazed if they did not credit him with being the cause of their menstrual cycles.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com