Re: Orlanthi astrology; Great Trolls in PDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 00:00:55 -0700

Trotsky wrote

> Actually, I don't expect the Orlanthi to be too keen on astrology,
> except maybe the tribes of Aggar, Holay, etc. who have been more influenced
> by the Dara Happans.

In my Glorantha, the East Ralians are very much into astrology. How else can you determine a baby's geases, if you can't read the signs of his birth?

I don't think it's popular among the other Orlanthi (though they undoubtedly watch for unusual portents, like suddenly moving stars or comets [does Glorantha have comets?]).

BTW, Glorantha-Con V may be over, but the web site, <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/con5/gcon5.htm>, has convention reports and photos, as well as information about Enclosure (the fund-raising booklet for the con).

Virgil Greene answered me

> Great Trolls have an INT of 2D6 + 2, according to the _Gloranthan
> Bestiary_. They're a wee bit dumber than a Trollkin (2d6 + 3). There's a
> comment under magic that they're taught at least one spirit spell, usually
> Fanaticism, Bladesharp (!? surely they should be taught Bludgeon?) or
> Protection. It looks like a GT doesn't have much personal choice, here.

So they're not fixed INT, and thus technically capable of being PCs... You could easily limit their skill increases to maximum INT (let's be generous and call it 15), especially in areas like Custom, Courtesy, Memorize, and languages.