Hunter Gods

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:19:21 EDT

In response to Sergio's comments about Zong being the Hunter God associated with hunting insects. This statement is not quite true, nor is the strict elemental breakdown he has in the same paragraph.

If one will look at the descriptions of the Hunter Gods in Gods of Glorantha, one will see that Zong provides spells to Command all rodents in addition to insects. Found-child, who does not fit Sergio's scheme at all, provides spells for mammals, reptiles, and birds. Odayla provides spells effective in commanding wild fowl (i.e., birds). Rasout, another non-elemental deity, gives spells for mammals and reptiles both.

The key is that Hunter deities are NOT element specific -- they are culture specific. Odayla is the Hunter Deity for Orlanthi peoples, and so he should be the Hunter Deity of the ducks, who are much closer to Orlanthi than to trolls, certainly Sergio will agree to that.

But, as worshiped by those very few duck hunters (for ducks are not generally hunters IMO, they are fishers), he would provide spells for the type of prey they hunt. This _might_ include insects, but is more likely to include small birds (Duck cannibals, yeah!), rodents, etc.

Note that, as I said, I think far more ducks are fishers than hunters. And there is a local fishing god in the area, called Pelaskos (mentioned in the Holy Country article in RuneQuest Companion). Given the nature of the Four Providers in Orlanthi society, I assume most Orlanthi would say he is a son of Orlanth as the other three (Barntar, Odayla, Voriof) are.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com