Changing Games

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:24:04 GMT

>> Robin Laws ...he is slated to write Glorantha the Game)

Well, that's good news. I loved NEXUS (although I wasn't that taken with the game system) and his work on pieces of OVER THE EDGE was good too.

> I played a RuneQest 4 demo from Avalon Hill. So I suggest no-one hold
> their breath. They are still in the very early stage of game mechanics and
> nowhere near ready to playtest. It basically appears to be a mutated form
> of RQ3: fewer stats, different hit locations and a very detailed combat
> system (10 - 20 different fighting styles were discussed: whirling attack,
> crushing attack, upward swing, etc.) They haven't worked out the magic
> system yet and the game we played was set in a standard fantasy world.
> They also talk of doing a crusades era campaign set as well.

Which is not good news. How the hell are they planning to maintain backward compatibility if they are going to change the number of stats. Oy Oy Oy!

> My impression was that there is one or a few people working on it and that
> they aren't focussed on it. So I would not expect anything in a hurry.

So no change there then....

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.