Shargash High Holy Day

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:18:49 -0700 (PDT)

S. Martin
> BTW, I was unclear in my last post -- I propose that Shargash have a High
> Holy Day only once every two years.

You we're unclear - it just didn't seem like a good idea (IMO). I see absolutely no problem with the Shargashi having a HHD where Shargash is not present once every two years - it just means that the emphasis of the ceremony changes according to whether Shargash is in the upper air or in the underword. Remember that Shargash has at least two major aspects exemplified by the green and red kings, etc (see Enclosure) so the year when Shargash is in the underworld could be largely dedicated to Shargash as Lord of Ashes whereas when he is up it might be the Saviour of the World (or Strength through Destruction). This seems to be far more likely than doing the Alkothi out of a HHD.

> As for Tolat, if a pregnancy lasts a full Gloranthan year it would make
> sense for the sexual event to take place only once every two years, at
> least as far as an individual woman is concerned. Since outsiders
> presumably know of this event, it would make sense for half the women to
> _not_ participate each year. They would spend that night taking care of
> children and old people, and guarding the other women involved in The
> Rapture.

THis assumes a 100% impregnation rate - I don't remember that this is the case (I'll go and check). It does seem like a bit of a stretch...

Yours,
Dave
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+