Duck!

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:07:40 -0400 (EDT)

Sergio Mascarenhas, posting with weird non-Latin characters, says:

> Subject: RE: Carl Fink

Why me as subject?

> Good point. Now tell me, why did they borrow human gods - Orrlanthi
> pantheon, why not a full duck pantheon? IMO your point of view is strongly
> biased towards humans: You can accept that
> they have human gods but not troll's.

Actually I'd like ducks to be less humanlike -- but that doesn't mean they should be trollish, either. I don't personally see any value in ducks being "humans in duck form" -- I've never been a Barks fan, so it's not intrinsically interesting to me to have ducks wandering around.

Like trolls in one way, I want them to be *alien*.

> > If anything they'd have some weird remnant bird-hunter, a relic of the
> > Godtime.
> Speaking about birds hunters in the god time: before the darkness they
> would be hunters BUT when the darkness came the hunters became the hunt.
> IMO bird hunters suffered severelly with the darkness. A bird hunter relies
> almost exclusively on sight to hunt; sight relies on light; take out the
> light, bye-bye bird hunter.

Are you familiar with, oh, birds which wade in shallow water and spear small fishes on their sharp beaks? That's a skill a duck could learn, IMO. Sandy Petersen writes:

[women have to perform a ritual to become pregnant]

> Despite such tales, obviously the occurrence of
> unwanted pregnancies amongst the Doraddi is low.

Unwanted *by the mother*. The father might be pretty darn upset. - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>
"I don't mind being called a greedy, satanic terrorist." -Scott Adams