The Glorantha Digest V5 #126

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Aug 97 03:27:14 EDT

	From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_CompuServe.COM>
	I have a query for Sandy:

Hi All,

Sandy said.
>The Nine Lightbringers of Umathela are not the same as
the Fonritian hero-gods of the Circle of Light, though obviously there is some confusion between them, and it's possible that the Fonritian Council of Gods (the ultimate development of the Circle of Light) was somehow derived from Orlanth's Ring.

 Are the Council of Gods/Circle of Light worshipped directly? Having read the Pamalt book, I must adssume that their are at least seventeen such deities, the Fonritan magic number. However if the group are associated with the constellation of Orlanth's Ring, then perhaps only seven left (the rest comanded to watchover different parts of the universe, died on the quest etc.) More importantly are any of them names, or have mythology yet?  I personally beleive that Fonrit has about 4913 gods, many of them so minor as to be only mentioned once in the myths. The  religion of Fonrit appears to come from many sources, I think that the Garangoros Hero gods (Ikadz, Ompalam, Darleester, Seseine) receive a lot of worship by the Massarin. The earth pantheon is worship by everbody, with local spirits being important to the village communities and massarin houses. Each city then has its own mini-pantheon of either conquered, or conquerer gods. The Circle of Light fits in here somewhere.

>The Umathelan Lightbringers are clearly descended from
the Second Age Theyalan colonist beliefs. The Fonritian Circle of Light is a parallel belief.

 Yeah, I can understand this, but I can't believe that with all Fonrit's invasions of Vralos and Umathela that the religions haven't blended at the edges.

>NOTE: Greg is not responsible for the mythology above at all. It
is the result of my own musings. Well, actually, Greg must bear responsibility for the Nine Lightbringers idea, but not their identities.

 Are some of the Umathelan tribes matrilineal in nature, inspired by the goddesses of their pantheon? I would think so, especially those that follow Thyla and live amongst the Aldryami, who can be perceived as having a matrilineal structure.

 What are the Earth comparissons for your Umathelans? The names, especially the male ones have a definate Meso-american feel.