Urban military presence

From: Jose Ramos <cristnav_at_arrakis.es>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 05:37:30 +0200

        Hasni is worried about troop sizes. A 1% of the population as profesional soldiers is Ok, with up to a 5% of part time militia.

        In my version of Kustria (a large city with a population between 30000 and 50000) there are five armed forces:

        The King's knights. Around one hundred. Palace guard and critical military actions.
        The Red Band (mercenaries). Around two hundred are quartered as garrison and wall guards.
        The Guilds militia. Each guild provides a company. Some five hundred militiamen and a thousand more with basic training. Wall and gate guards.
        The Peacekeepers. Only allowed staves and cudgels. One hundred strong.
        The Trading houses and noble's retinues. Variable, but between one and three hundred additional warriors.

        And Ralios is IMO a highly militarized area, with more than its share of troops concentrated in the city. In an emergency (siege, or civil war) between 5000 to 10000 conscripts can be raised, but they would be good only for construction tasks.

        Keeping and feeding an army is expensive. That's why militias are popular.

        I hope that helps. I tried to follow late medieval population figures, a bit inflated to compensate the almost permanent state of Safelster states.

Jose