Healers and how to use them

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:42:04 +0000

Lots of good ideas seem to have been coming in: shame I was missing them! Thanks, people. A few of you seemed to assume I was talking about healer *priestesses* - I wasn't, I was talking about new PCs, ie. low-grade initiates as a general rule. (Although the lady who emailed me describing her party's demands for ressurection on tap has my sympathy!)

Just two specific points:
1) Someone mentioned that CAists don't need "Xenohealing". After a bit of reading up, this seems to be a RQ2 version of the idea that you need two points of Heal per HP for species other than your own. Are you saying that CAist only need one point, no matter what the species? If so, could you point me at a reference for that, please? I like it as an idea, but would like to be able to prove it to GMs as well. (Thought: to CA, species distinctions are so unimportant that all life is regarded as being of her species? Whereas the Varmandi clan probably need Heal 4 to have any effect on a Sartarite of another clan?)

2) Someone: was it Sandy? said that since a healthy human only consults a doctor about once a year, we should expect a PC to need a healer that often, too. I think healers cover more functions than a GP does, myself. How often do you take an aspirin? You won't find them in a supermarket in Glorantha. How often do you take daily medication for a long-term condition? (Thinking about the people I know, we average about one dose a day between us). Again, this stuff won't come in handy packs in Glorantha. And Gloranthan disease is meant to be *more* common than in the RW, not less: most PCs only seem to get ill if infected by broo. There's no broo in the office at work, but I still get a cold or two every winter. Nothing lethal, true, but enough that I would expect my combat ability to be reduced.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml