Treat Wounds vs Heal

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:41:47 +0200

Hi everyone,

Michael Cule asked about 'Treat Wounds' :

> You do? Clever lad! Mind explaining it to me? We've puzzled over it
> for hours...
>
> Have you seen the errata note that makes it a normal sorcery spell and
> not have the special duration? This means it is useless without
> Duration.

I haven't seen this errata note. The original spell however gave one HP per hour back. And the duration increased with intensity.

If the spell is only temporal now, I see it a bit different. Basically it gives you a HP per hour back. So it is useless without duration if only intensity 1 is cast. For every additional point of intensity the time needed to get a HP is halved. The spell ends when either its duration expires or if a location is fully healed.

This is what feels right to me. In this way you could get HPs with intensity 4 back and wouldn't need additional duration. But you would still need to cast intensity 11 to compete with a heal spell. But 'Treat Wounds' only speeds the natural process of healing, i.e. if I break some bones there is no guarantee that they will grow back in the right way. This is nearly ridiculous when you misuse 'Heal'. Let's say my leg is smashed beyond recognition. I still have ten rounds to heal it and then it's like new again. This sounds not right to me. According to books more soldiers died of infections than in battle in the Middle Ages. Many were crippled. But in Glorantha the powergamers have won. As long as someone has 'Heal' a battle is an option. I would like to see a less powerful 'Heal' and more permanent loss in health, like lost fingers, blinded eyes etc. and not only with the Humakti. Perhaps if your character could become more easily crippled for life you think twice before attacking an armed Telmori with his brother.

Any comments ?

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Homepage Telmori's Forest :
(it hasn't moved, it's just a shortcut)
http://home.pages.de/~Telmori's.Forest/

"And by the seventh day all Telmori knew that they should have no home in Sartar. Again man betrayed them. Not for the first time and certainly not for the last time..."