Pentan Raven and Hare

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:34:48 -0400 (EDT)

I thought I'd throw a few words into the Pentan deity pot.

My personal belief is that it was Raven who first introduced the Pentans to the various Storm spirits following the Nights of Horror. "When our drums were all silenced and destroyed, so that we could no longer ride upon them to where the spirits live, Raven taught us to grow our own wings so that we could fly ourselves into the Spirit World." This provides a place in Glorantha for the Trickster/Shaman connection. I posted a cult write up a while back, which is also available from my Jester's Bauble web page (at http://members.aol.com/pmichaels/glorantha/jestbaub.html).

I also believe many Solar tribes have probably managed to maintain their ancient clown tradition, for which Hare is the inspiration. The ritual dress of such clowns includes alternating black and white stripes covering the body (representing the way Hare changes color, among other things) and floppy ears. They look somewhat like the Zuni Newekwe, but are not formed into organized societies.

Piece,

     Peter