Succubi in Pamaltela

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 06:03:47 +0800

>However, succubi are almost
>unknown in Genertela, but a well-known horror in Pamaltela. Obviously
>something else in Pamaltela makes it easier for succubi to appear.

        Succubi are the chaotic creature most obviously associated with the worship of Seseine - almost certainly there is some sort of causal link here with the succubi and the cult both being predominantly Pamaltelan. Whether the cult causes the succubi or the succubi cause the cult or both I don't know, because I know next to nothing about the cult of Seseine

        I think in Pamaltela succubi are associated with ogres much more, much as they are in Gaumata's Vision. In Genertela, ogres often hang out with ogres, generally in family groups. I think in Pamaltela, ogres are usually not organised into groups, but arise as a result of succubi breeding. And they are not generally Cacodemon worshippers, but tend to fall into the worship of other evil gods, as their chaotic origin means they are plagued by perverse desires, Seseine probably being a popular one. Of course, ogres that worship relatively common gods like Vangono are common too, as many ogres are unaware of their origins. I'm sure many ogres become rapists, too, thus continueing the cycle. Of course, in Pamaltela most ogres are doraddi, not wareran, but they bear the same relationship to humanity.

        I'm not quite sure where the Lamia fit in, but I'm syre they fit in somewhere. They probably can't worship Seseine in the same way as others, though, as they have no access to divine magic. I'm sure there are both lamiae and ogres lurking in the jungles worshipping evil gods, and there Doraddi children are told terrible tales about them (of course, the stories may well greatly exaggerate their numbers and importance - the really dangerous things in the jungles are elves or trolls).

Also, I'll add to Sandy's list of why most cultures are unaware of the Broo/rape connection that most humans who transform into a broo this way do not necessarily transform into a classic goat or deer or sheep headed broo (lacking the obvious genetic connection to the appropriate animal) but may transform into something that looks still chaotic, but different. Those that are transformed into broo rather than born broo do seem somewhat more variant in appearance, such as Ravening from Big Rubble or Twisttusk from Dorastor (I may have the names wrong there). Such beings may not be recognised as 'broo', just as chaotic horrors.

        Of course, some cultures ARE aware of the connection, because they know Thed is goddess of both rape and broo.

	Cheers
		David

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #165