"Prince Argrath: The Gloranthan Storytelling Game"

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 97 23:41:48 -0500

Hey folks,

While reading David Dunham's excellent "PenDragon Pass" rules recently, I was struck by the notion that a more freeform set of mechanics might better model "Gloranthan reality" as well as being easier to learn and play. Hence, I've begun work on a variant of Pendragon's younger brother, _Prince Valiant_, which I call "Prince Argrath".

For those unfamiliar with _Prince Valiant_, the basic mechanic involves throwing a number of coins equal to the appropriate attribute, skill or combination thereof and comparing the number of coins which come up heads against an opposing coin toss or a difficulty factor. Modifiers, such as for armor, fame, injury or morale, may increase or decrease the number of coins which a player has available to throw for a given resolution.

The advanced game adds further options to character creation and reward, and introduces the notion of cooperative storytelling via shared gamemastering opportunities. Ordinary dice suffice in place of coins, as the "either-or" probabilities of the coin toss are expressed equally well using even-odd die rolls.

"Prince Argrath" will add a third attribute (Insight) to govern character
interaction with the Other Side, as well as rules for divine invocation, folk magic, mythmaking, religious ritual, sorcery, and spirit combat. Emulating one's god (or a cultural hero) on a heroquest becomes as easy as roleplaying the appropriate personality trait perhaps combined with a successful Ritual or Emulate (deity/hero) or Mythology throw.

My intent is to focus on the characters' interaction and identification with their cultural myths, rather than on speculative heroquest in the manner of Arkat, Ethilrist or Harrek. It will certainly be *possible* to strike out on entirely new heropaths within the framework of "Prince Argrath" but, as a general rule, such activities are beyond an ordinary character's capabilities even with the support of clan and cult. However, ordinary people are sometimes thrust into extraordinary circumstances which require they transcend their limitations and become *more* than they once were. This is the essence of what Gloranthans call the Hero Path, which our more mundane world names "personal growth".

I'm certainly open to collaboration and/or brainstorming with my fellow Gloranthaphiles. I hope to eventually publish "Prince Argrath" electronically or as a GloranthaCon Compendium insert, Greg willing. Perhaps both. Feel free to contact me at the email address below if interested.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"What if life actually *was* fair, and we somehow deserved all the
truly awful things that happened to us?" -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5