Chivalry

From: Jean.DURUPT_at_st.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 18:28:36 +0100

Hi all

+Sandy's sorcery
P Hibbs and M Schwartz kindly sent me a copy. I thank them.

+Chivalry
To try to become a candidate, a character has to be proficient in his caste's skill. This proficiency should be notable, hence a 60% limit. It could be higher since the Laufoli (ie old Hrestroli) need less knights than the Loskalmi need soldiers.

Progression does not always mean a great skill increase. A character under a master soldier who trains 12 h a day with his sword, will fail in progression because he shirked his duties as a soldier, even if he masters the skill in 1 year. But the master soldier wants to see if the candidate is able to be proficient in weapon use, utterly incompetent candidates don't need to become knights (at least in theory). And yes deeds count for a recommendation.

The Rokari and the Laufoli share a problem. What to do with younger sons (while allowing them not to change caste)? For the farmer caste, they can always clear more land, or become crafter. For the wizard caste, monasteries recruit. For the noble caste, there are some options:
- -a lord can have all his brothers killed.

A solution to this situation is to create more fiefs through conquest or colonization, because it means more lord, soldier, and wizard positions, and less unemployed troublemakers at home.

Nolos and Pasos set trading posts in Kethaela. Seshnela sends armies into Ralios.
I thought it interesting for the Laufoli to colonize Jrustrela (a new world beyond the sea). The bit about the Vadeli helping the Yggites comes from ToTRM#10, I extrapolated for the castle coasters.

Peace

        Jean