Re: hsunchen; earth guardians

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:12:44 -0800

I asked, "Are there any Hsunchen in Pameltela?" and "LostSky" answered

> There are definately Basmoli, who came from there in the first place - and
> ... The Heroes Hykim cult write-up says there arer many Hsunchen tribes

I admit to forgetting about the Basmoli, but I haven't really seen much evidence that they exist in present-day Pamaltela. (Of course, if they live in Tarien, that could explain it, though one unpublished source doesn't mention them.)

I think I missed Pamaltelan hsunchen because they're not mentioned in the Pamaltelan sources, only elsewhere.

Mr Tines defended his bored temple guardians. Mr Tines is clearly not a Seattle Farmer -- in our games, you'd be insane if you took a productive member of society and made them unproductive (really, temples don't get attacked very often, and that assumes you have a temple in the first place, which is also something of a luxury). You'd much rather support Granny, who has useful knowledge, than an unruly teenager.

Of course, prosperous Esrolia might be a bit different, but I don't think that's really the area under discussion. And even there, you'd have dedicated guards, not kids you somehow managed to get to swear their lives [donate POW] to taking arbitrary vengeance.

And my complaints evaporate if they're not initiates, because then it's not a permanent thing. Making someone carry a heavy axe for a week is a reasonable punishment. Making them become a devotee of a bloody goddess is not, because that lasts a lifetime.