Cloud Cows, Yelmalio, The Sixths, Tradetalk Cospiracy Theory

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:18:03 EST

Mr. Tines
>"Clouds are Orlanth's *oxen*!"

Actually, per all available sources, they are his sheep. Nice try, though.

On the Subject of Yelmalio
Greg has gone back to one of his manuscripts, and is currently exploring the origins of the Sun Dome Temples through discussion with a few people. Some new information is coming out of this, including a lot of information on the Sun Dome Temples in the First and Second Ages, some information about Nysalorian times, and hopefully some revelations about Yelmalio. I hope to be able to summarize some of the discussion soon; I will reserve further comment until that time.

Peter Metcalfe
>Prior to that, Pavis the elf-friend had in
>his cultic rites a place for the local yelmalio-elf from
>the Garden as the Sun Stooge. Come the templars and the
>yelmalio-elf is given the boot and replaced with the Count
>of Sun County. However the Templars picked up the name
>Yelmalio for their god.

I see no rational reason for these Templars, certainly worshiping some deity of their own, to all of a sudden abandon his name and replace it with "Yelmalio". doesn't that strike you as being religiously and mythically just a bit of a stretch?

Simon Bray
>Rulers of the Sixths.

>In the Elder Secret book it says that only the twelve people may enter
the
>City of Wonders after Harrek's raid of 1624. These people are described
as
>the six rulers of the lands and the six holders of the lands magic. I am
>trying to work out exactly who this refers to. My ideas at the moment
are
>as follows.

> Rightarm Archipelago - The Merchief/Ruler The Admiral/Holder of
Magic
> (Maybe reversed?)

Unpublished notes of Greg's for MOLAD indicate that the ruler of the merfolk is probably a woman. She would, IMO, be both the temporal leader and the magical leader of this Sixth. Elder Secrets says the Six Holders in two separate cases; surely the same person could happen to fill both shoes, especially in as magical a land as the Holy Country.

However, since the High Admiral was more or less appointed by Pharaoh, I could see him as being recognized as the Temporal Leader.

> Caladraland - The President(Oh I hate that)/Ruler The High Pirest of
>Vent/Holder of Magic.

This seems reasonable to me, though the "High Priest" of the Vent would actually be a pair of Twin Priests of Caladra & Aurelion, who jointly hold this office. Thus, the two would have to cross together to enter the CoW.

> Heortland - The King/Ruler The Archbishop(Wizard) of Aelous/Holder of
>Magic.

IMO, both of the Heortlanders would be straight Orlanthi -- the Wizard of Aeolus would be a minor figure. Thus, the King of Whitewall (i.e., Broyan, who per KoS seems to have some rights to "give away" the City of Wonders to Harrek) is one, and the Highest Priest of Orlanth at Stormwalk would seem, to me, to be the other.

> God Forgot - The Talar/Ruler The Grand Zzabur(Leonardo the
>scientist?)/Holder of Magic

The Talar is certainly the temporal leader, but I don't think Leonardo is the Grand Zzabur -- he is a mad scientist, not a magical and spiritual leader, IMO.

> Esrolia - The Matriach of Notchet/Ruler The High Priestess of
>Esrola/Holder of Magic.

Actually, the High Matriarch of Esrolia is probably not associated with Notchet at all -- I would assume she rules from the city called Ernalda's Home.

> Shadow Plateau - Queen of Styx Grotto Trolls/Ruler High Priestess
of
>Argan Argar or KL /Holder of Magic.

Queen of Styx Grotto trolls seems a good choice. However, given that the Only Old One (a male) used to be the ruler of the Shadow Plateau, I think the High _Priest_ of Argan Argar is probably the Holder of Magic.

All in all though, your choices seem good. No elf or Mostali in this, though, which could be troubling, though is probably OK.

Sergio
>The uncientific aproach would certainly be to try to find some
>connections... if they are politicaly useful. Some RW examples: in the
>middle ages most kings were able to demonstrate their direct linage to
Adam
>and Eve!

There is more to this statement than some people might realize, since there is a theory that the medeival kings and queens were in fact direct blood descendants of Jesus Christ. Though popularized most recently in the comic book called The Preacher, this version of The Grail is an ancient belief. Certain aspects of Jewish religion around the time could easily support such a belief.

But that is off-topic -- I certainly agree with you on most of your points.

To bring up my Tradetalk conspiracy theory again, I still maintain that one reason the words Yelm, Orlanth, Ernalda, etc. are so common in Glorantha nowadays is that in Tradetalk, the word for "Sun" and "Sun God" is Yelm. Such a methodology would have helped tradetalk expand in the First and Second Ages (first by the Theyalan Council, then adopted by the GLs), and could explain why some Gloranthan deities seem to be near-universal until you dig deeper.

Thus, an Issaries merchant who travels into Saird calls the Sun Yelm, since that is the word for Sun. Even though he may personally believe that the god of the sun is Elmal.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com