Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #233

From: Simon Hibbs <s.hibbs_at_forestry.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:18:22 +0000 (GMT)

Bill Thompson says :

>I am not saying that magic is chaos. Rather that Magic is the tool that
>is used to allow Chaos to interact with the world. The effect of chaos is
>change, creativity, destruction... sounds like general headings for most
>spells doesn't it.

  1. Magic is used by everything to interact with the world, not just chaos.
  2. er, so what?

>In addition we find that some of the Gods themselves carry the Chaos
>rune; Ragnaglar and Seseine as examples.
>
>>. Magic cannot exist in the presence of that
>>which cannot be connected to, bound with or influenced.
>
>If this were the case then these Gods would not exist and the chaos rune
>could not be tied to anything.

and later says :

>Now, the Mostali take this truestone which already has pretty heavy
>cultural significance and they place there strongest magics upon it,
>reforging it and making it purer. The end result is Admantium which is
>focused Stasis.

But if the first statement is true, then how come gods with the stasis rune can have magic? You can't have it both ways. You can't say on the one hand that 'If chaos destroys magic, then gods with chaos runes couldn't use magic' and on the other hand have gods withe the stasis rune using magic when pure stasis (adamantium according to you) DEFFINITELY destroys magic.

>Say Rather:
>Everything which isn't pure Chaos or Pure Stasis is magical. Because
>Magic is the vessel used by Law to express how Chaos and Magic may be
>combined.

I presume you mean 'how chaos and stasis may be combined'.

I realy don't like the way you so easily jump from having Law, then Order, then Stasis as being the 'real' opposite of chaos without any concrete resons for choosing one over the other. You seem to use them interchangeably in an unsystematic and very confusing way. This is inevitable, because it's a very confusing subject and trying to reduce it to simplistic axioms like 'Stasis is the opposite of Chaos' doesn't help.

So far as glorantha is concerned, chaos means different things to different people. The same goes for much else too.

To some illuminates, chaos is the sum of all possibilities. Everything in glorantha stems from it and depends on it. To an Orlanthi it is the ultimate expression of evil and destruction. These views are both equaly true and are irreconcilable.

Simon