Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #234

From: allen wallace <alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 06:57:12 -0800 (PST)

On the taboos on goats and dogs for the orlanthi. I suspect the dogs are banned on two counts, attachment to Telmor, ( the excellent Voriof Cult aside) and the dogs 'natural antipathy' to the alynx. The goats are easier, in several sources there are chaos-goat ties, in names if not in the world. A lot of people tie Broo and Ragnaglar to goats as well, don't know why on the second unless its a lust/lechery/sexual thing. Goats also have that look that causes people in the RW to ascribe them similar features. It doesn't have to be any more than that in a symbol sensitive culture.
  One other thing, on an old thread, Pilots have in RW been a very prestige position. You aren't talking a glorified helmsman, this is the main who could handle a ship well enough to be trusted with the safety of both ship and docks. The pilot had absolute command while on board. I suspect in the advancement version of Hrestolism, the pilot is what the Captain advances to. Besides the pilot has a home/family/political life that isn't all interuptions.

                                Allen