The nature of Chaos...and maybe a few Gods

From: Scott Haney <scotty_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 97 14:01:44 CDT

& From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
& Subject: The Nature of Chaos
&
& Chaos has come from the Primal Void _outside of the Universe_, from which
& the Universe has come. The Primal Void is neither destructive nor
& creative, it simply is outside of everything. In other words: the Primal
& Void is Right where it is.
&

[lots of good stuff snipped.]

Kudos to Joerg for a spit-spot explanation of the difference between Chaos and the Void. (Of course, the typical Gloranthan would be oblivious to the difference.)

Not all that came to Glorantha from the Void is necessarily Chaotic, though. In the Void, creation and destruction constantly occur. Some things last mere moments (if "moment" can be defined there); others last a long time. Still others are able to alter their surroundings in the Void and sustain themselves. Two of the most notable to Gloranthans are Krarsht (considered Chaotic) and Arachne Solara (not Chaotic). Neither of these were born of Glorantha.

In fact, one can categorize the gods of Glorantha somewhat by source or origin. (Note: I don't feel that a god can be fully or even mostly pigeonholed this way...I tend to see them as part of a continuum. I should probably wash my mouth out with soap for sounding like a God Learner. :)

	Category			Examples
	--------			--------
	Gods born outside of Glorantha	Arachne Solara, Krarsht

	Gods born within Glorantha	Orlanth, Somash, Yelm, etc

	Gods born within Glorantha,	Tien, Thed, Malia, Krjalk
	but changed horribly by the	most Chaos gods
	incursion of Chaos or Void

	Gods formed from the 		Wakboth, Pocharngo
	incursion itself

I think this needs a bit of work. For example, I don't know where I'd put Nysalor. I've been toying with the idea of having him be one of the few category 4 gods who are not Chaotic. (The Arkati are now on their way to my house...) And I think there might be another god in category 1.

At any rate, your Glorantha may vary.

Scott, Baron von Moosehsunchen (recently inspired so much by the Moose Turd Pie story that I'm thinking of Gloranthafying it and posting it to the list.)

Scott Haney scotty_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us "To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System"

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #235