Voriof, Shepherds, etc.

From: allen wallace <alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:08:30 -0800 (PST)

My thoughts on Voriof, Shepherds, etc.

     It isnt likely that a group will have both sizeable herds of cattle and flocks of sheep. Each tends to destroy the grazing for the other. This is not just a wild western myth. In a cattle culture, any flocks will be by necessity small so as not to damage the herds grazing. The flock will be large enough to provide woo and no larger. Voriof will just not be that important in a catle culture. The reason that Voriof would be a minor cult, is because the warriors tend the cattle, and the warriors are where the power is. The RW Celts are probably the analog for the Orlanthi. They had sheep, but not really that many, at least not by the midden remains that Ive heard about. The optimal traits for a cowboy, Celtic or otherwise, will be fairly martial. Endurance, horsemanship, the ability to work with your fellow cowboys, and a reasonable degree of aggressiveness, cattle really are a big and aggressive herbivore. These are not the ideal traits for a shepherd.

I doubt that Voriof is a childrens cult outside cattle country. In safe and settled lands, with no serious predators, and where adults are pretty much always within earshot, children were often left to guard the sheep. Assuming the flock has a good lead ewe or bellwether, keeping them together is not a problem. Actually it isnt really a problem with a stupid one, flocks stay together, its what sheep do. The problem is keeping them all from walking over cliffs or into the bog. A whole flock will happily get themselves killed for any reason whatsoever. Thats the importance of having a good lead animal. If the lead animal is raised to be comfortable staying near the shepherd most of the shepherds life is easy. The sheepdog is a relatively new phenomenon RW. The sheepdog really became needed with more modern raising methods where the shepherd is sleeping at home every night. This is less likely to be the situation in a Gloranthan context.

     The main job for the shepherd is protecting the flock from predators. Sheep are marvelous targets for even the most ineffectual of predators. In all but the safest of lands there will be adults with the flock at all times. The flocks feed and clothe the clan, the shepherds trinity of wool meat and milk. I suspect that the alynx oriented Orlanthi, if any are sheep rather than cattle oriented, would likely have a pack of the alynx patrolling their pasturage making certain that they are the only predator. The clan hunters perform similar functions, as well as keeping down the herbivorous competitors of the flock.

     Everyone has pretty well come up with appropriate cult magics. I suspect the favorites would be speedart and a sort of demoralize predator spell. I cant really go with Telmori - Voriof connection. RW cultures havent accepted the people who went feral, and I really doubt that Gloranthans who have demonstrable chaos and evil magicks will be more tolerant. These people would be driven off or killed. Besides the optimal personality traits of a shepherd will be patience, serenity, self reliance and courage. This is someone who is going to be spending a great deal of time with only themselves for company, and who will have to face any threats alone.

       As an aside, RW cultures have had dealings with humans gone feral. It is possible that the basis of both the werewolf and the Scandinavian troll may be feral humans. Running with the wolves can turn you into one in several European myths, and the same is true with living with the trolls in Icelandic folklore. He said, "Trund, Trund and the Trolls of the Fell," and the man was seen no longer in the lands of men. Giving up the ways of society takes you out of society, and the myths arent loaded with people being redeemed. I think the Telmori step would put you out of the society entirely and permanently.

                These are just my thoughts, and some RW info from my wife

                (who did the great back to the land thing in her misspent youth)

                                Allen