EWF & Sun Dome; cats & dogs & goats

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:53:07 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> 2) Runequest 3 Book V: '...the Empire of the Wyrm's Friends,
> which used forbidden dragon magic and was partially derived
> from the Solar Imperial Theocracy.' I've already pointed
> out to Jeff recently that this meant that the rulers who were
> converted by Vistikos Left-Eye would have been Sun Domers.

This seems especially plausible in that the Sun Domers probably saw their power about to wane.

> All this makes it highly probable that the Sun Dome Templars
> who went into Sun County were heavily draconized by the
> lore of the EWF and said (or hissed) their rituals in Auld
> Wyrmish.

And of course Pavis was an EWF outpost...

Boris wrote

> the common knowledge that real world
> dogs and cats hate each other is, like much common knowledge, largely
> mythical.

True, though I'd never seen a cat spit until we added a dog to an all-cat household.

I think the antipathy towards dogs among the Dragon Pass Orlanthi is simply a given, like the fact that Praxians hate horses, no matter who rides them. Or, look on it as a matter of taste. Why is white the color of mourning in some cultures, but in others it's black? No good reason, it just is. The Orlanthi (again, this only needs to be true of Dragon Pass, since Greg hasn't detailed others) just don't like dogs.

As for broos, I thought that occasionally you get a broo that doesn't look like a parent, and when that happens, it looks like a goat. At the very least, the always-present horns are goat horns by default.

Michael R wrote

> why the animosity between alynxes and dogs? Where does it come from?

King of Sartar has two mentions of the Bad Dogs, who each time harmed alynxes.