Use the Force...

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:35:27 GMT

Tal Meta said:

>Assume both the caster and the target have POW 16, and the caster is
>attempting to cast Palsy 5. His chance of overcoming his taget is
>50%, correct?
>
>Now he casts Palsy 5, Force 5, bringing his chance to 75%. Wouldn't
>he get the same result by Boosting the spell with 5 MP, which would
>let him cast it with a higher Intensity if he so desired? Force
>doesn't seem any faster/more powerful than Boosting, which doesn't
>require any skill?
>
>Or am I just missing something (as usual?) <g>

I don't think this is how it works. The spell is an attack spell so the caster must overcome mp's, which is 16 vs. 16 to make 50%. The only effect Intensity has on Palsy is that the Intensity MUST be higher than the hit points in the affected location, so increasing Intensity does not affect the chance on the resistance table, as Force does.

Does Forces only increase your chances by 5% per point??? This means it;s only useful for sorcerors with seperate Magic Point recpetacles, as for every personal magic point you spend on Force, you lose 5% on the resistance table anyhow... Doesn't matter to my game anyhow, Otkorioni can't learn Force.

Hope that's helps (I hope I'm right :)

Nikk E.
Nikk Effingham
eng7nje_at_leeds.ac.uk