Broos, goats, illness...

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:35:29 +0200 (EET)

 Sergio wrote:

> whenever a broo contacts a female regardless of the species the broo can
> transmit a disease. The longer the pregnancy, the more likely the disease
> may kill the female before the birth of the broo (I am assuming that the
> pregnancy of a broo takes as long as a normal pregnancy of a child of the
> given female but I'm most likely wrong and the time required for a broo to
> develop may be independent of the host).

 Broobirth can't take that long. The host is sucked dry from resources,  I would imagine that season is the maximum time.

> Pasanen words): the most likely result of a broo inoculating a creature is
> that the given creature dies of disease (agravated by the pregnancy) before
> giving birth to the broo. Since goats are very resistent, the chances that
> the host will survive long enought for the broo to be born are maximized.

 Not all broo carry diseases, and every disease does not infect the  host. But once one would get the illness, the whole flock would..  Broos don't really care which way it goes, will there be little  broos or will the livestock die.

> And when you say << You never know that the goat has gotten illness >> if
> it's your herd and you are a good herder you will certainly notice
> something unusual about your goat; if you are speacking about wild goats

 In longer time this is likely. Pregnangy also tends to be noticed.  That's why broos reproduce easiest with wild animals.

 Panu 'Passo' Pasanen.