Yanafal Tarnils

From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 17:14:10 -0500

The question I keep seeing, and tried to deal with on my own for a bit, is whether Yanafal Tarnils' cult is a stand alone cult or a subcult of another cult.

One (very weak) parallel from the Barbarian pantheon would be Mastakos, Orlanth's charioteer. He has his own cult write up in GoG, but I've never seen anybody but an NPC who was in his cult. Moreoften, it seems to be treated as a subcult of Orlanth.

Likewise, I have never seen an independent Barntar cult.

Back to YT. In my campaign, I play that in "Frontier" lands, lands that couldn't support a full, independent YT cult, instead the Lunars set up the old "Cult of the Seven Mothers" As the cult grows powerful, and as RunePriests pick up the curvy sword and start their own funky tradions, THEN a cult of Yanafal Tarnils pops up.

Some places/groups that would have their own, (semi) independent cults would include just about every Lunar Army, most garrisons, Cities within the glowline, etc. And they will most likely have local flavor. For instance, one legion may use spears, and another uses maces as a back up weapon. Heck, all the quasi-humakti geases may be the rewards of Lunar Heroquesters that either found them, or absorbed them from "local" cults. (Including Humakt, in some places.)

One last thing I'd like to say: I still find it very difficult to imagine anybody ditching a cult they have been in since 15, and replacing it with a similar one. I can understand joining a second cult, especially if it was something along the lines of an Orlanthi joining Humkat to avenge a murder, but for people sworn to a cult like Humakt to Yanafal Tarnils, which is worshiping a Sword that (effectivly) betrayed the Orlanthi god of Honor.

Rich