Dragonkill/EWF, Red Moon, Panishi!

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 03:16:28 EST

Peter Metcalfe inadvertantly points out a dating problem:

>To which I say, nyah! The writer of the article is extremely
>sloppy (for instance he calls the leader of Caladraland a 'president'
>and gets the date of the Dragonkill wrong by 20 years!) and so
>'correcting' a few further facts in the article would not go amiss.

In fact, this article may not be wrong -- of all RQ sources which mention the Dragonkill by date, about half say 1100, and half say 1120. As such, given the large number of sources, I say we cannot discount any of them.

My personal suggestion is that the True Golden Horde began its march into Dragon Pass in 1100, and that it was not until 20 years later that the great disaster befell them. Later history is just inexact as to what these dates mean.

BTW, has anyone besides Jeff Okamoto noted that RQ sources also have a major disagreement over the dating of the Dragonewts' Dream?

>This could also explain the
>curious mention in RQ4 draft in which a mention is made of a
>kingdom in the Pamaltelan Mountains that uses Dragon Magic.

I would hesitate to take an obscure mention in an unpublished and Greg-unapproved product as authoritative in this regard. Does Sandy have any comment on the source of the RQ4 draft's draconic kingdom in Pamaltela?

>The big problem with the above is that the Tarmo Trolls are
>not organized into anything larger than clans

What source do we have for this, or is it just your guess?

>I assume an overgrown temples deep in the
>jungle with fearsome savages worshipping something like
>Quetzcoatl the feathered serpent, would be appropiate.

Although I don't believe in the draconic mountain kingdom, the idea of a feathered serpent temple deep in the jungle appeals to me. However, I have always thought of such temples in Caladraland itself, since I view the feathered serpent as the sky aspect of the local version of Lodril there. As I can see no reason for it to have been exported to the elf-controlled jungles of Pamaltela, I don't think there are draconic enclaves there, either.

>Bear in mind that this empire was a successor state
>to the original civilization of the Artmali and worshipped Jraktal
>at this time.

Although I believe the first part of this statement, I am not sure I believe the second part -- why would the Fonritians worship Jraktal the Tap in the early Second Age? Are you basing this on a single published prophecy, which mentions Jraktal? The prophecy in Tales 8 mentions Jraktal by implication as an enemy god in Fonrit, not as one worshiped by the people there. I think that even in this time Ompalam the Slave God was ruler there, as now. IIRC correctly, his cult was brought to the land around 500 by Garangordos the Cruel, since I believe that Darleester the Noose is related to Ompalam.

>The Fonrit writeup itself implies the major second age power in
>Fonrit was the Sorcerers of Kalabar (who tortured the Gods of
Pamaltela). I don't think they are God Learners

Although this statement, you must admit, does sound a lot like the God Learners, true?

>I don't think they are God Learners or else they
>would have been listed as part of Svagard's empire when he was Crowned.

Easy solution -- like in Kralorela, they broke away from the God Learners, possibly even earlier.

>Garangordos is mentioned as appearing when the God
>Learners first came and when they were destroyed but the dating
>of those events is vague.

Just to avoid confusion, it should be remarked that Garangordos appeared to fight against the God Learners. More evidence that Ompalam, not Jraktal, was the primary deity worshiped in Fonrit at this time.

As for the EWF in Pamaltela, I can see little reason for them to have made any effort in that regard at all -- if Genertela was the Great Dragon, what did they want to go to Pamaltela for?

I think the knowledge that the OOO was allied to the EWF, and mentions of the spread of Argan Argar's cult through Pamaltela, has prompted some Gloranthan scholars to postulate EWF outposts in Pamaltela.

However, Simon Bray brings up some interesting ideas:
>Was the Red Gold knife another EWF artifact like his banner and sword?

If not for the fact that the Ormsword is blue (KoS, pg 172), I would have suggested that the Red Gold Knife was in fact the Ormsword.

Since we don't know a whole lot about Fonrit, even now, I suggest that perhaps it is possible there are draconic influences there. For example, we know very little about Laskal, and it is where Harrek later set up his kingdom. There are definitely bat-hsunchen there, and I think many people might try to associate bats with draconic creatures?

And, to answer my own question above, if Genertela is the Great Dragon, isn't it possible that the EWF thought perhaps they should try to awaken the Pamaltelan Dragon as well?

Or should we perhaps look to Maslo for EWF influences?

Passo asks:
> BTW: how would telmori see her? Or moon-demons? How does one see >her
from Kralorela, Pamaltela or from Ygg's Isles? Those areas have never
> been affected by her current form very much, AFAIK.

The currently accepted theory is that outside of the Glowline, the Red Moon is visible from almost everywhere else in Glorantha. Regardless of where you are or how far away, she appears a short ways above the horizon, somewhat smaller than the disk of the Sun. And, as far as I can tell from my discussions with Greg, she goes through her phases as normal.

Somehow, I have a hard time thinking of Arachne Solara as a "Dark Moon" deity.

Eric Hansen
Your Panishi story was very good, though I could quibble here and there. In particular, your separation of Mother of the Forest from Aldrya was perfectly done, a task I thought difficult. Also, your weaving in of Elf Hate Won was another brilliant take. Great job, this one should have gone to Tales for the Lunar special!

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com