RQ Rulesy questions

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:19:40 GMT

Pekka Savola wants to know:

> 1) Skills over 100%. According to the RQ3 manual (a Finnish translation,
> however - I hope it's that!) the maximum skill value you could have is
> 100% + the modifier + 6%. However, for example, the vampire in Sun County
> has attack/defense of 199/138 with one of his weapons. His attack and
> defense bonuses seem to be 13 and 11%. So, the maximum values should
> actually be 119/117.

No. This is just wrong.

p 37 of RQ3 says:

Except as concerning certain knowledge skills, only successful experience rolls can increase skills beyond 100%. The system for the experience roll changes once the threshold of 100% is reached. If an adventurer is 100% or better in a skill, his player must roll over 100 on d100 to succeed at an experience roll - remember that the adventurer's skills category modifier can boost the d100 roll to over 100. This rule applies at any time, no matter how much over 100% the skill has risen. Further, if your adventurer has a negative skills category modifier, he or she cannot improve much beyond 100% in any of the skills within that category wihtout extraordinary effort.

I think the translator just misunderstood something or missed something.

> 2) Just a few general notions about magic: Sorcery seems to be pretty
> powerless (at least in the beginning - the best characters I have played
> have never been even runelord -level) compared to, say, Spirit Magic
> (consider a good Bladesharp, Multimissile, etc.). Sorcery, however, seems
> to require tons of magic points to be of any use, and casting time
> besides. An example: let's say a PC wants to cast Poison or something to
> be done with a foe. He has to use at least 12-15 mp to intensify it or
> else.. Anyway, he has to have enough free int, and what is more, he has to
> be able to spend like lots of time unable to parry, dodge, move, attact,
> etc. That makes sorcerers pretty powerless in tight situations, IMO.
> Anyway, even if he succeeded, he would be totally drained of magic points
> - - easy prey for any other magic-user.

Sorcery is very badly crocked. At high levels sorcerers are deadly (see the example in STRANGERS IN PRAX) but at low level they are easy meat and not at all likely to live long. The sorcery system needs rewriting totally to even out the effects. Others will be pointing you to systems for doing this. Sadly the RQ4 version never escaped onto the net although rumours about what was to be in it were available.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #273