Re: Yelmalions in Battle

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:58:18 -0500

                     ___

Amid much pike guff, Lee wrote:

> I sort of picture the Sun Domers of having some of their DP heritage
> left in them.

After 800 years, that's pretty good going! (Also assumes the original Sun Dome of Dragon Pass was a Celtic/Viking analogue, which seems a rather dodgy proposition; I'd say they were Bright Empire relicts).

> the all out attack method... every soldier was trying to prove he was
> braver than the next soldier and the best way to accomplish this was
> to engage the enemy and defeat him quickly.

This is imbecilic in a hoplite formation, as a moment's thought will show. "Gee, I'm so brave I'll *break ranks* to rush at the enemy!" What a plonkerish attitude!

Yelmalion myth is about enduring bad stuff so you will survive. This is very workable with a Hoplite ethos: yes, I *know* there's a trollkin gnawing my leg off, but if I drop my shield or break rank to deal with it, my comrades-in-arms will get shafted as well. Gives a very stoical, stiff-upper-lip, Spartan ("with your shield or on it"), English publicschoolboy  feel to the Sun Domers, which works just fine IMG.

We all know (I sincerely hope) that the Sun Dome Templars do not, and never have, exerted military dominance over the Plaines of Prax. They have a nifty defensive formation which makes them too tough to crack easily, and they don't herd self-portable (raidable) wealth like the herds of the other tribes. So let's leave them to their dirt-scratching and ditch-digging: I fancy a bite of Bison!

::::
Nick
::::