Re: Yelmalions in Prax, Iron in Trolls

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:45:07 -0500

___
Lee responds to ?Stephen:

>> The Yelmalions in Sun County are specialized as mercenaries for the
>> nomads (who else could hire them the last five hundred years). So
>> the support elements disappeared to leave the only thing the nomads
>> could not provide, a core of dependable heavy infantry.

> I would think the Yelmalions would be used by more people than just
> the nomads.  The Lunar empire could use them as could the city of
> Pavis at various times in history.

But the Lunars only came to Prax in 1610 -- that's five to ten years ago in most games' timelines -- while the city of Pavis was occupied by Trolls for most of the Third Age. Any examination of why the Sun Dome Templars came to be the way they are *today* has to take their recent history into account. And remember the exceedingly dodgy names of several Counts in the Light List... looks like Nomad involvement for sure!

In the board game "Nomad Gods", the Sun Dome Templars occasionally participate in Praxian inter-tribal warfare. Knowing just why they do so, or what they get out of it, would be rather interesting...

Emmanuel writes:

> "Why not poison some food with iron and feed it to the Bad Uz?" > ... made me think about what is that in iron that [harms trolls].

The Mostali designed Iron to harm their ancestral enemies, elves and trolls. They say that if they'd known how much trouble humans were going to be, they'd have made Iron hurt them, too. (Nobody ever knows if they're just winding us up when they say stuff like that).

Probably iron tastes *terrible* to a Troll -- an unpleasant burning sensation is about the worst they could endure. I don't know how large a dose would be poisonous (my Humakti friend says "six inches inserted between the ribs seems to work well enough," but I digress). Your players are going to have some *very* angry trolls on your hands while they wait to learn how long an iron-poisoned troll takes to die.

While I'm here, I'll semi-second Peter's anti-GLish rant. IMO, the Lunar Empire (etc.) are far *worse* if they don't represent a "God Learner Survival", "God Learner Construct", etc. It makes them much harder to deal with, and means Glorantha has more gnarly bits. Which is such a self-evidently Good Thing that I rest my case.

::::
Nick
::::