Sorcery systems

From: Pearce, Chris <cpearce_at_selsius.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:12:45 -0600

> >Sorcery is very badly crocked. At high levels sorcerers are deadly
> (see
> >the example in STRANGERS IN PRAX) but at low level they are easy meat
> and
> >not at all likely to live long.

This comment is somewhat tangential, but I could never figure out how Arlaten, the magus in Strangers in Prax, could generate the high manipulation values he had. With an 18 Free INT, he should be able to manipulate up to 18 magic skills, but some of his spells required significantly more manipulation. Only the "Intensity doubling" or "Intensity adding" crystal vaguely referred to in the supplement could account for the effectiveness, but what little text there is inconsistent with the actual spells in his repertoire. The difference in RQ3 between 18 levels of manipulation and 24 is positively amazing and is at the core of the reasons why RQ3 sorcery is "broke" to the extent that they had to give Arlaten a key magic item to make him a truly impressive sorceror.
- --
Chris Pearce
cpearce_at_selsius.com