Getting stuff

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:36:26 +1300 (NZDT)

Richard:

>I've been buying up the AH stuff, before that goes out of print. The
>only thing I've not got is a GamesMasters box - do I need it?

No. If you have the paperback rules or the deluxe edition, then the GameMaster's Box contains roughly book 3, 4 & 5 whereas the players' box only contained versions of books 1 & 2. I've noticed from comments about the standard edition in the Glorantha Beastiary that the ritual magic as well as the advanced sorcery stuff have been transferred from books 1 and 2 to the gamemaster box.

>Buying OOP RQ2 stuff is harder. I'm looking for Griffin Mountain, Pavis
>and Big Rubble. Are they worth getting in the light of AH's River of
>Cradles et al. Where would be a good place to look? Would anyone here be
>interested in selling me a copy?

Griffin Mountain is very hard to get. Even I haven't a copy. *sniff*. Most of the stuff in GM has been amply reprinted in Griffin Island with RQ3 stats (save for Halcyon vor Enkorth) _except_ for the gloranthan details and the maps of Balazar and the Elder Wilds.

Pavis and the Big Rubble are also hard to get. Pavis only contains three adventures that have not been reprinted (including the Cradle Adventure) and a couple of cult writeups: Flintnail, Pavis and Lanbril. Flintnail is interesting but obselescent and Lanbril needs to be savagely pruned (for a thieves cult, it has everything but the kitchen sink!). The Big Rubble is mainly adventures with one cult writeup for Yelorna that you can find in Drastic: Prax.

>Finally, is it worth buying the RQ2 companion? Any other RQ2 stuff I
>should be looking for?

It's difficult to know the criteria of worth you are using. Many of the things I consider priceless are considered boring by others and vice versa. The best bits of the RQ Companion are the Jonston Compendium and the Holy Country writeup. It also has some early Wyrm Footnotes articles although I still fail to grok 'the Harlot of Alone', as well as some gumpf on Illusions, Trolls and Unicorns. Much of the rest is taken up by an Alan laVerge Story and a space-filler soloquest. So it's worth getting IMO.

Borderlands is an scenario pak set in the River of Cradles which is quite good, _if_ you can get it. Cults of Prax is now useful for only the complete (RQ2) Seven Mothers cult writeup - everything else in there has been updated and reprinted elsewhere. Cults of Terror has likewise been updated and the only cult left is Vivamort.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #281